Ph.D. in Philosophy, University of South Florida, 2016
- Stanghellini, G., M. Broome, A. V. Fernandez, P. Fusar-Poli, A. Raballo, and R. Rosfort (eds.). (2019). The Oxford Handbook of Phenomenological Psychopathology. Oxford University Press.
- Fernandez, A. V. (2019). “Phenomenology and Dimensional Approaches to Psychiatric Research and Classification.” Philosophy, Psychiatry, & Psychology.
- Fernandez, A. V. (2019) “Merleau-Ponty and the Foundations of Psychopathology.” The Bloomsbury Companion to the Philosophy of Psychiatry. Edited by R. Bluhm and S. Tekin. New York: Bloomsbury Publishing.
- Fernandez, A. V. (2018). “Beyond the Ontological Difference: Heidegger, Binswanger, and the Future of Existential Analysis.” Existential Medicine: Essays on Health and Illness, 27–42. Edited by K. Aho. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield International.
- Fernandez, A. V. (2017). “The Subject Matter of Phenomenological Research: Existentials, Modes, and Prejudices.” Synthese Vol. 194, no. 9, 3543–3562.
I work in the fields of phenomenology and the philosophy of medicine and psychiatry. Most of my work focuses on the challenges of doing interdisciplinary phenomenological research in psychology and psychiatry. My current work is on the use of phenomenology as a qualitative method, especially in nursing.